Puma signs footballer Sergio Agüero in long-term deal
Puma, the sportswear brand, has signed Sergio Agüero, the Argentinian star footballer now playing for Manchester City, in a long-term deal that will see him front the brand's advertising campaigns.
Sergio Agüero: Manchester City footballer to front Puma brand ad campaigns
Agüero, who joined Manchester City this summer from Atletico Madrid, has said that the deal is "another important step" in his career and life.
It is understood that Agüero will act as a brand ambassador and be central to Puma's future marketing campaigns.
The footballer called Puma a "great brand" with "a good attitude towards both sport and life in general", according to the Puma website.
Agüero will wear Puma boots when playing football for the length of the contract, although neither a timescale nor a value for the deal has been revealed by the sports brand.
In May, Puma released a report that claimed to "set a new benchmark in corporate environment reporting", putting the monetary cost of its water consumption and greenhouse gas emissions at €94m (£82m).
Puma has existing ties with football, and it is the shirt supplier for Tottenham Hotspur and for the Italian national team.
Last year, Puma signed the biggest sponsorship deal in athletics history with star sprinter Usain Bolt. The deal is thought to rival that of Christiano Ronaldo's four-year deal with Nike, which is worth around £21m.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Graphic Designer Creative Recruitment negotiable, Middlesex
- Insight Analyst - Financial Client-side Elizabeth Norman International £22000 - £27000 Per Annum, London
- Head of Marketing - London Designer Outlet Realm in the region of £60k, London
- Internal Communications Business Partner Stopgap £36200 - £46155 per annum, South East England