Google to open new office in East London
Google is set to open a multimillion pound "technology community centre" in East London, helping bring the government's vision of creating a Tech City in the area to fruition.
Google: readies move to East London
The seven-floor office is based on Bonhill Street, near a cluster of tech start-ups and digital agencies around London's Old Street, dubbed The Silicon Roundabout.
The internet giant has taken out a 10-year lease on the property and will host a range of activities such as speaker series, "hackathons", training workshops and product demonstrations from Google engineers.
It said this will be an entirely new venture, with Google UK's existing operations remaining in their current central London offices.
It claims the centre is the first of its kind in the company’s history and is part of its commitment to making the Tech City "vision a reality".
David Singleton, engineering director at Google UK said: "East London is already home to hundreds of innovative British start-ups, and has huge potential for economic growth and new jobs over the coming years."
Eric Van Der Kleij, chief executive of the Tech City Investment Organisation, said: "Google is a terrific example of a major technology business that understands the importance of nurturing as well as benefiting from the communities where they operate.
"This investment will pay dividends for them as well as contributing to the long-term success of the Tech City, and we are delighted to welcome them to the area."
The announcement comes in the same week it was revealed Twitter would be opening its first international headquarters in Dublin, rather than London.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...