Waitrose takes on Tesco with biggest value campaign
Waitrose has made a £19m commitment to continue to match Tesco's prices, as it gears up for its biggest-ever value-focused campaign.
Waitrose: biggest value campaign
The ‘1,000s of ways to great value’ drive follows Tesco’s ‘Big price drop’ campaign, backing price-cuts on 3000 products, at a cost of £500m.
The Waitrose ads, by Bartle Bogle Hegarty, will focus on its pledge to price-match more than 1000 products against Tesco. It will also push its 1500-strong ‘Essential’ range, and the 1000-plus products it places on special offer each week. The TV ads will run for three weeks from Thursday, supported by in-store activity and online display ads.
Waitrose marketing director Rupert Thomas insisted the supermarket is committed to the Tesco price-match for the long term, as it is ‘getting more customers into stores’.
Thomas said that its continuing commitment to match Tesco’s prices will cost Waitrose £20m each year.
He added that its ‘Essential’ value range now accounts for 18% of all the supermarket’s sales, with the 1500 lines forecast to be worth an estimated £900m by the end of this year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London