Premier Foods to mirror Kraft and focus on 'Power Brands'
Premier Foods, the maker of Hovis, Bisto and Ambrosia, is to mirror Kraft and Reckitt Benckiser by focusing its marketing support on eight key Power Brands and sell its non-core assets.
Hovis: Premier Foods power brand
The UK's largest food manufacturer today (7 October) reported heavy falls in volume sales in the three months to September 30.
The Power Brand initiative was unveiled by new chief executive Martin Clarke, who admitted that current trading had been "disappointing" and "significantly behind our expectations".
Hovis, Mr Kipling, Ambrosia, Sharwoods, Oxo, Loyd Grossman, Bisto, and Batchelors are the eight Power Brands which Premier Foods will now focus its resources on.
Premier Foods owns around 60 brands and is heavily indebted. It has put the "for sale" sign up above rest of the business, which includes brands such as Angel Delight, Mother's Pride and Robertson's Golden Shred.
In July, it was revealed that Premier Foods was trying to sell off its loss-marking ready-meals arm, Brookes Avana, as it moves to pay down its debt.
Clarke joined the business in June from Kraft, which has a similar focus on its core power brands.
In today's trading update, Premier Foods revealed that volume sales of Hovis declined 13.5% on the year. Overall volume sales fell 8% on the year.
Clarke said: "Our immediate priority is to conclude discussions with the banks to revise our banking covenants and put in place refinancing facilities. This process is well underway and we are hoping to reach successful conclusions in due course."
Follow @johnreynolds10 on Twitter
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Graphic Designer - Retail/POS Network Career Consultants £22000 - £27000 per annum, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...