Coke mulls Olympic vending machine tie-up with Visa
Coca-Cola, a worldwide sponsor of the London 2012 Olympic Games, is in talks with fellow sponsor Visa to introduce cashless payment vending machines to the UK during the Games, within the Olympic park.
Cashless payments: Visa has already struck a deal with Lloyds TSB for the Olympics
Sanjay Guha, marketing and Olympics director, Coca-Cola Northwest Europe and Nordics (NWEN), said the brand was looking at an "execution" with Visa and the "opportunity to create cashless payments on vending machines" during the Olympics.
James Eadie, head of Olympics, Coca-Cola GB, said: "The technology is already available today and we are in conversation with Visa over the Olympic park and how it would work."
Visa is already working with two other Olympic sponsors. It struck a partnership with Lloyds TSB in May that included a tie-up with Samsung's Near Field Communication (NFC)-ready handsets to promote cashless payments in the run-up to the Olympics.
Samsung is expected to issue the handsets to athletes and to put them on general sale.
Coca-Cola started the introduction of contactless payment vending machines in Belgium and Luxembourg at the end of last year, partnering with technology company PingPing to implement the system. Using NFC, consumers can hold a "tag" – a sticker on the back of their mobile phone – in front of a reader to pay for purchases.
Follow @LoullaMae_ES on Twitter
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London