Coke mulls Olympic vending machine tie-up with Visa
Coca-Cola, a worldwide sponsor of the London 2012 Olympic Games, is in talks with fellow sponsor Visa to introduce cashless payment vending machines to the UK during the Games, within the Olympic park.
Cashless payments: Visa has already struck a deal with Lloyds TSB for the Olympics
Sanjay Guha, marketing and Olympics director, Coca-Cola Northwest Europe and Nordics (NWEN), said the brand was looking at an "execution" with Visa and the "opportunity to create cashless payments on vending machines" during the Olympics.
James Eadie, head of Olympics, Coca-Cola GB, said: "The technology is already available today and we are in conversation with Visa over the Olympic park and how it would work."
Visa is already working with two other Olympic sponsors. It struck a partnership with Lloyds TSB in May that included a tie-up with Samsung's Near Field Communication (NFC)-ready handsets to promote cashless payments in the run-up to the Olympics.
Samsung is expected to issue the handsets to athletes and to put them on general sale.
Coca-Cola started the introduction of contactless payment vending machines in Belgium and Luxembourg at the end of last year, partnering with technology company PingPing to implement the system. Using NFC, consumers can hold a "tag" – a sticker on the back of their mobile phone – in front of a reader to pay for purchases.
Follow @LoullaMae_ES on Twitter
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Graphic Designer:(Fashion,Retail,Conceptual,Print, Digital) Creative Recruitment £23000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Paid Media Account Manager - Paid Search PPC - Agency Leader Ultimate Asset £28000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- PR Senior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £33000 per annum, Manchester
- Biddable Paid Social Manager - Paid Media - FMCG Client Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London