Disney seals Xbox 360 tie-up for game launch
Disney UK and Microsoft are embarking on an eight-month partnership to support the launch of the Disneyland Adventures Xbox 360 game, which marks the first time a brand has used Disney's live shows in promotional activity.
Disney seals Xbox 360 tie-up
The campaign, which will be aimed at children and families, will run across multiple Disney-related media and retail properties, as well as outdoor.
The game allows players to use the Kinect motion and voice controller as a portal to explore a 'virtual Disneyland', interacting with characters and taking part in challenges.
The drive rolls out this week with Xbox's sponsorship of the Disney on Ice Worlds of Fantasy UK and Ireland tour, followed by another on-ice tour, Princesses and Heroes, starting in March. Each venue on the tour will be equipped with Xbox 360 Kinect for visitors to play the game. Demonstrations will also be set-up in Disney Stores next month.
Sponsorship activity is being launched across Disney TV Channels, which include The Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior. The drive will also include advertorials in Disney magazines.
The campaign will be supported through a dedicated microsite, which will feature content from the Disney on Ice event and information about the game and the console.
It will also host a range of competitions, with prizes such as Disney Store vouchers and family holidays.
UM London and Disney's sales and promotion division, Disneymedia+ UK, devised the push.
Experiential marketing has hitherto had a key role in Xbox Kinect promotional activity, including the console's initial $500m (£300m) launch campaign, which ran in November last year.
Neither Disney nor Xbox would disclose the cost of the partnership, but Xbox has been spending heavily on marketing game titles. Last year it reportedly invested $6.5m in media for the launch of its flagship video game, Halo 3.
For Xbox 360's recent launch of the Gears of War 3 video game, real-time TV ads were aired, showing people playing the game live online.
In March this year, Microsoft signed a product placement deal, with its Kinect Sports game becoming the first product to feature on Sky channels under such an agreement.
CURRENT TOP-SELLING KINECT GAMES, 2011
- Kinect Sports
- Zumba Fitness
- Dance Central
- Kinect Joy Ride
- Your Shape: Fitness Evolved
Source: UKIE Games Chart, compiled by GfK Chart-Track
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Agency Candidates Required Michael Page Digital GBP25000 - GBP50000 per annum, Guildford
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...