Don't measure clicks, measure value, says Specific Media's Chris Worrell
Digital advertising still has a value even if people do not click on it, according to Specific Media's Chris Worrell in a presentation on unlocking the potential of online video.
Chris Worrell: European research manager at Specific Media
Speaking at the Media Guardian Changing Advertising Summit, Worrell said marketers and agencies should not get "obsessed with clicks" because online advertising would have a value regardless of whether people click on it or interact directly with it.
Worrell said just because immediate responses to digital advertising could be measured, it did not mean they were its only value.
He said: "Don't get obsessed with clicks, you need to take wider view."
Presenting a session entitled "Future outlook: TV content online", Worrell, who is Specific Media Europe's head of consumer insight, said the TV industry could learn from how the outdoor sector has evolved to stay relevant in the new digital media environment.
Worrell said: "Outdoor utilised consumer and properties and digital. Businesses like Specific Media and many others in the digital space have evolved into serving video.
"We've purchased content, MySpace, we now have a studio and we serve across all devices. Brands must evolve too."
Online video would bring in bigger advertisers to digital, he said.
"Digital has long been the favoured medium of choice for people operating at the bottom of the funnel but video opens up opportunities for brands at the top of the funnel."
Worrell said research showed nearly all people surveyed were watching online TV, 55% of people were watching more than one hour of online a video a week, and the majority was watched during evening peak time.
He added: "The type of content is professional mainstream TV content. This is the content that's driving growth in online video."
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London