US giant Netflix takes on LoveFilm with UK launch
Netflix, the US film subscription giant, is set to launch its streaming service in the UK and Ireland in 2012, in direct competition to Simon Calver's LoveFilm.
Netflix: readies UK launch
Netflix's much anticipated launch stream unlimited TV shows and films across a range of devices including PCs, connected TVs and mobiles.
Details of the pricing and the supported devices will be unveiled closer to the launch, however a subscription the US costs $7.99.
It is available across 700 devices in the States including Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo's Wii, Sony Playstation 3, Apple TV and Google TV, Apple mobile devices and a range of internet connected TVs and Blu-ray disc players.
Netflix launched in the US in 1997 and now has more than 25 million members across 43 countries the US, Canada and Latin America.
The announcement comes as Amazon-owned LoveFilm is accelerating its roll out across multiple devices, recently adding Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Apple's iPad to its list of platform partners.
By comparison LoveFilm has 1.7 million members in the UK and four other European countries, but unlike Netflix operates a postal rental service in addition to movie streaming.
Meanwhile Hulu, the US TV streaming service also has eyes on the UK market and has been reported to be launching towards the end of this year.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London