Nick Clegg appointing seven special advisers to bolster Whitehall links
The Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is reportedly set to appoint seven Liberal Democrat special advisers to create better links to departments headed by Conservative ministers.
Nick Clegg: bringing in special advisers
Sunday newspapers reported yesterday that Clegg is bringing in the special advisers to work across Conservative-led Whitehall departments. They will each earn around £68,000.
Clegg’s head of comms James Sorene failed to respond when contacted for details by PRWeek last week.
Reports suggest that three aides have already been appointed, but their identities are not yet known.
PRWeek understands that the special advisers will ‘double up’ in overseeing Whitehall departments.
One of the new advisers will monitor the Home Office and Ministry of Justice, reportedly to the displeasure of Home Secretary Theresa May.
A Whitehall source told The Sunday Times: ‘Theresa has made it pretty clear she’s not happy about a Lib Dem being given access to everything that crosses her desk. She’ll have a Lib Dem special adviser based in her department and she’s not keen on the idea.
‘However, Nick [Clegg] has argued that the Lib Dems need to be bolstered in some departments. He doesn’t think they have enough clout.’
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...