The Independent launches new website with international paywall and £19 iPad app
The Independent has unveiled its new website, its most major revamp in at least five years, accompanied by an international paywall and a market-busting paid for iPad app.
Independent: revamps website
The Independent's UK site remains free, but users accessing from the US and Canada will have to pay.
The Independent's usership outside of the UK averages between 40%-50% of total monthly uniques, with a high quality profile for international advertisers.
Last week, The Independent's editor Chris Blackhurst told Media Week the international charges were "perfectly reasonable", but admitted he did not envisage it spreading to the UK.
"Having a paywall in this country, when you're up against a free BBC and a free Guardian, is probably not advisable," he said pointedly.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)