The Independent launches new website with international paywall and £19 iPad app
The Independent has unveiled its new website, its most major revamp in at least five years, accompanied by an international paywall and a market-busting paid for iPad app.
Independent: revamps website
The Independent's UK site remains free, but users accessing from the US and Canada will have to pay.
The Independent's usership outside of the UK averages between 40%-50% of total monthly uniques, with a high quality profile for international advertisers.
Last week, The Independent's editor Chris Blackhurst told Media Week the international charges were "perfectly reasonable", but admitted he did not envisage it spreading to the UK.
"Having a paywall in this country, when you're up against a free BBC and a free Guardian, is probably not advisable," he said pointedly.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London