The Independent launches new website with international paywall and £19 iPad app
The Independent has unveiled its new website, its most major revamp in at least five years, accompanied by an international paywall and a market-busting paid for iPad app.
Independent: revamps website
The Independent's UK site remains free, but users accessing from the US and Canada will have to pay.
The Independent's usership outside of the UK averages between 40%-50% of total monthly uniques, with a high quality profile for international advertisers.
Last week, The Independent's editor Chris Blackhurst told Media Week the international charges were "perfectly reasonable", but admitted he did not envisage it spreading to the UK.
"Having a paywall in this country, when you're up against a free BBC and a free Guardian, is probably not advisable," he said pointedly.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London