The Independent launches new website with international paywall and £19 iPad app
The Independent has unveiled its new website, its most major revamp in at least five years, accompanied by an international paywall and a market-busting paid for iPad app.
Independent: revamps website
The Independent's UK site remains free, but users accessing from the US and Canada will have to pay.
The Independent's usership outside of the UK averages between 40%-50% of total monthly uniques, with a high quality profile for international advertisers.
Last week, The Independent's editor Chris Blackhurst told Media Week the international charges were "perfectly reasonable", but admitted he did not envisage it spreading to the UK.
"Having a paywall in this country, when you're up against a free BBC and a free Guardian, is probably not advisable," he said pointedly.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...