Sky and Virgin clash over unbranded direct mail campaign
BSkyB has successfully petitioned the Adverting Standards Authority (ASA) to ban a direct mail campaign by rival Virgin Media, because it was not obviously identifiable as marketing communication.
Virgin Media: rapped by the ASA
In June Virgin Media sent out jiffy bags bearing the text, "satellite TV upgrade pack".
The pack boasted it contained everything a consumer needed, including free service and repairs.
Vertical small print on the right-hand side of the envelope revealed the package contained "promotional material from Virgin Media".
The ASA decided the disclaimer was likely to be overlooked by consumers because it was considerably smaller than the main text and was located under a series of reference numbers at a 90 degree angle on the right hand side of the envelope.
The ASA concluded the direct mail campaign did not clearly state it was marketing communication sent with commercial intent, meaning it breached the advertising watchdog's code.
An additional complaint about Virgin Media claiming "a better TV experience" was rejected by the ASA despite an objection from Sky, which said the statement could misleadingly imply Virgin Media's picture quality was better than its own.
The advertising watchdog said the campaign must not be repeated and now insists all future Virgin campaigns must clearly state they are marketing communications.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...