Clarks targets younger men
Clarks, the heritage shoe brand, is launching a range of catwalk inspired footwear in a bid to broaden the appeal of the brand to men.
Clarks has identified 30- to 45-year-old men as an important and largely untapped target market.
It is hoping to attract new shoppers to the brand with its spring summer 2012 range, which will draw heavily on the themes of English craft and heritage following trends from the catwalk and Clarks own archive styles from the 1950s.
Stephen Hooper, men's marketing manager at the shoe brand, said the key is getting the audience to reconsider the brand.
He said: "We have a different barrier when it comes to reaching men, which harks back to their school days which might drive negative associations of being dragged into a store."
The brand is undertaking a PR and digital led marketing drive to promote the products.
Hooper, said: "It is all about endorsement when it comes to digital channels and gaining credibility behind the products."
Clarks is the latest brand to identify men as a core audience for growth. Both Asos and John Lewis have also increased their investment in marketing to men.
Clarks' own research revealed men have a far more functional relationship with their footwear than women.
Hooper said: "Men need a bit of encouragement with their shopping as much driven by simply replacing existing products."
Has Clarks got the fashion factor? Decide for yourself with our gallery of the new season collection.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Brand Manager - Leading Entertainment Company f1 Recruitment £40,000, Central London
- Digital Account Manager - Leading experience design agency. Zebra People £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- .Net Developer - Agency Role - ASP.Net, .Net 4.0, CMS, Umbraco Digital Gurus £35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits, London
- Freelance Account Manager for award winning integrated agency! Zebra People £180 - £220 per day, East London