Marc Jacobs ad banned over child sexualisation complaints
A Marc Jacobs ad featuring 'Twilight' actress Dakota Fanning showcasing the brand's Oh Lola! perfume has been banned by the advertising watchdog, as it could be seen to sexualise a child.
Dakota Fanning: models for Coty's Oh Lola! perfume
The ad for the Marc Jacobs scent, which is owned by Coty UK, features Fanning in a pink polka-dot dress that reveals part of her thigh, leaning back on one arm with an over-sized bottle of the perfume placed between her legs.
The print ad ran in a selection of national titles including the Sunday Times Style magazine and ES Magazine.
The ad appeared in publications aimed at the over 25s, and despite neither Coty, ES Magazine or Sunday Times Style magazine receiving complaints, four readers contacted the ASA with concerns that the ad was irresponsible and portrayed Fanning in a sexualised manner.
The ASA said that despite Fanning being 17 in the ad, she looked under 16 and was photographed in a sexually provocative way, which could be seen to sexualise a child and "cause serious offence".
Last month the ASA ruled that overtly sexually provocative billboards will be banned as part of the industry's response to the Bailey Review, which proposed restrictions on the use and display of sexualised imagery in brand advertising.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior Account Director - Advertising Spectrum 360 Recruitment £55k - £60k, London, Soho
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...