SodaStream shifts strategy to focus on fun
SodaStream, the fizzy drinks maker, is shifting its marketing strategy ahead of Christmas to promote the humour and light-heartedness of the brand in a £1.5m campaign.
The 'Make Someone Happy This Christmas' campaign breaks today (10 November) and will include two 30-second spots created in house, featuring a teenage boy and, separately, a mum, each unwrapping their Christmas presents.
Both ads are a light-hearted take on the style of a family home video and show the main character crying with joy when they realise their present is a new SodaStream.
The fun tone marks a shift from SodaStream's global marketing campaign earlier this year which focused on the environmental impact of plastic bottle waste.
The five-week campaign, which was planned and bought by WPP media agency MediaCom, will include spots during peak viewing times, such as during 'Coronation Street', in an attempt to reach family audiences.
Fiona Hope, managing director of SodaStream UK, said: "We have grown significantly since our re-launch and we’re predicting Christmas this year to be even better than last, due to the sustained investment in the brand over the past 18-months, which has reinforced the brand's place in today's world.
"SodaStream is without doubt the 'hot' Christmas present this year."
A spokesman for SodaStream said it estimates that 83% of the UK population will see the ads an average of six times across the campaign.
Last year SodaStream re-launched, reviving its 1980's strapline '"get busy with the fizzy" under the direction of Hope, a former marketer at Greene King and Coca-Cola.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...