SodaStream shifts strategy to focus on fun
SodaStream, the fizzy drinks maker, is shifting its marketing strategy ahead of Christmas to promote the humour and light-heartedness of the brand in a £1.5m campaign.
The 'Make Someone Happy This Christmas' campaign breaks today (10 November) and will include two 30-second spots created in house, featuring a teenage boy and, separately, a mum, each unwrapping their Christmas presents.
Both ads are a light-hearted take on the style of a family home video and show the main character crying with joy when they realise their present is a new SodaStream.
The fun tone marks a shift from SodaStream's global marketing campaign earlier this year which focused on the environmental impact of plastic bottle waste.
The five-week campaign, which was planned and bought by WPP media agency MediaCom, will include spots during peak viewing times, such as during 'Coronation Street', in an attempt to reach family audiences.
Fiona Hope, managing director of SodaStream UK, said: "We have grown significantly since our re-launch and we’re predicting Christmas this year to be even better than last, due to the sustained investment in the brand over the past 18-months, which has reinforced the brand's place in today's world.
"SodaStream is without doubt the 'hot' Christmas present this year."
A spokesman for SodaStream said it estimates that 83% of the UK population will see the ads an average of six times across the campaign.
Last year SodaStream re-launched, reviving its 1980's strapline '"get busy with the fizzy" under the direction of Hope, a former marketer at Greene King and Coca-Cola.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London