The Times takes a poke at rivals with 20p cheaper ad
News International is running a press ad in today's issue of The Times (14 November), highlighting that the paper is 20p cheaper than its quality rivals The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian.
The Times: ad highlights lower cover price compared to rivals
News International has decided to run the ad after the cover price of the Daily Telegraph has today been lifted from £1 to £1.20, mirroring a similar move byThe Guardian.
The press ad displays the words "The Times" written in bold type, in between which is a £1 coin.
Underneath, it states: "Monday to Friday. The Times is just £1 per day. That's 20p cheaper than The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian".
Tit-for-tat battles played out in advertising are not uncommon in newspapers.
The now-defunct rival free newspapers thelondonpaper and the London Lite ran advertising campaigns knocking each other.
The weekday prices of The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian are now £1.20, while their main quality rivals, The Times and The Independent, are priced at £1.
The press ad is thought to have been created in-house.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...