The Times takes a poke at rivals with 20p cheaper ad
News International is running a press ad in today's issue of The Times (14 November), highlighting that the paper is 20p cheaper than its quality rivals The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian.
The Times: ad highlights lower cover price compared to rivals
News International has decided to run the ad after the cover price of the Daily Telegraph has today been lifted from £1 to £1.20, mirroring a similar move byThe Guardian.
The press ad displays the words "The Times" written in bold type, in between which is a £1 coin.
Underneath, it states: "Monday to Friday. The Times is just £1 per day. That's 20p cheaper than The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian".
Tit-for-tat battles played out in advertising are not uncommon in newspapers.
The now-defunct rival free newspapers thelondonpaper and the London Lite ran advertising campaigns knocking each other.
The weekday prices of The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian are now £1.20, while their main quality rivals, The Times and The Independent, are priced at £1.
The press ad is thought to have been created in-house.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London