HMV and Fox take DVD shopping to bus shelters
HMV and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment are using outdoor ads carrying QR codes to entice mobile users to buy DVDs online on the spot.
HMV: rolls out QR codes in Christmas outdoor ads
The QR codes will allow customers to buy 20th Century Fox Blu-ray discs and DVDs, such as 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' via the HMV mobile app.
Consumers will be able to scan the code for a title that appeals to them on posters at bus shelters.
This will automatically launch hmv.com on the appropriate product page and the purchase can be made through the app.
Mark Hodgkinson, the new marketing and ecommerce director at HMV, said the initiative comes as the retailer looks to allow its customers to "discover and consume entertainment content in the way that best suits them".
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment managing director Robert Price said the mobile technology is designed to provide time-stretched consumers with "new distribution points".
The outdoor campaign will run in London, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Fox titles included in the initiative include 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes', 'X-Men First Class' and 'Alien Anthology'.
Creative was handled by The Entertainment Agency and Posterscope handled the media planning and buying.
News of the innovation coincides with HMV also trialling its first ever store dedicated to technology, which is located in the One New Change shopping centre in the City of London.
Follow Matthew Chapman on Twitter @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...