Visa unveils new digital payments brand V.me
Visa's new digital wallet service is to be called V.me and, in an effort to differentiate it from its other products, it will not use the Visa logo.
Visa: V.me digital payments brand to launch in Europe next year
V.me, which will be the global brand name for the product, is being launched by Visa Europe in 2012.
It works by allowing users to top up their account using Visa and other payment methods, including MasterCard and their bank accounts, in a similar way to eBay's payment service PayPal.
Initially, V.me will be a purely ecommerce proposition, which will not allow in-store purchases using mobile devices using near field communications.
Separately, Visa is working on a mobile payments service and earlier this year, it announced it was working in partnership with handset manufacturer Samsung, to launch an NFC-enabled phone especially for the 2012 Olympics.
Visa could incorporate the two services in the future, to create a similar offering to Google Wallet, but a Visa Europe spokesman said there were no immediate plans to do so.
Over the years, PayPal has proved a fillip to eBay, helping boost its revenues as consumers increase the amount they shop online and on their mobiles.
The mobile payments space is hotting-up and, as well as the UK launch of Google Wallet on the horizon, PayPal is also planning to launch a mobile wallet service next year.
Rival MasterCard has signed up with Barclaycard and Orange to provide the payment capability for contactless mobile transactions. The scheme launched earlier this year.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...