The Sun moves into social gaming
The Sun is launching its first social game, 'Sun Football Legends', offering fans the chance to experience the trials and tribulations of a top-flight footballer.
The Sun: launches Sun Football Legends social game
Sun Football Legends has been launched on Facebook and signifies a ramping-up of the News International-owned brand's gaming portfolio, which includes the football game, Sun Dream Team, and Sun Bingo.
News International is hoping 'Sun Football Legends' will tap into the craze for social games such as 'Cityville' and 'Farmville'.
Players of the 'Sun Football Legends' game create and manage football players, on and off the virtual pitch, taking part on a series of skills based tests to boost the status of their "legend".
They can invite their friends on the social network to participate in the game.
The football legends can make the front pages of a mocked-up version of The Sun newspaper.
The game has been created by Enteraction, the social games specialist, in conjunction with News International's social media agency Jam.
Players can also make payments with PayPal to send virtual gifts to their friends, using the gaming app.
Rob Painter, marketing director at The Sun, said the newspaper brand was seeing "strong interest" from clients looking to exploit in-game advertising and branded virtual goods.
"Social gaming on Facebook represents a fantastic opportunity for The Sun to further engage a large community built around our key editorial pillar of football."
The Sun has avoided any commercial backlash from the phone-hacking scandal which led to the closure of the News of the World, according to advertising data from Neilsen.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...