Virgin Media to launch targeted TV ad service in 2012
Virgin Media is set to unveil an addressable advertising service in the second quarter of 2012, thus beating its rival Sky to the punch.
Virgin Media: to launch addressable ad service in Q2 2012
The service will allow ads across all Virgin's platforms to be targeted to individual households. As a result, Virgin Media's 3.8m TV customers will see relevant ads on content through TVs connected to a Virgin Media box.
Initially, it will be rolled out for video on-demand content with the capability for linear receiving as well.
Virgin Media has been trialling targeted advertising with Starcom Mediavest Group clients Honda, Gillette and BlackBerry, using its TiVo interface.
Next year's roll-out will mean customer information, such as postcode, age and viewing packages, will be used to better segment its audience. It is not known whether the ad-targeting service will work on an opt-in or opt-out basis.
Virgin Media is understood to be in discussions with database marketing company Experian and retail partners about combining data to enhance segmentation.
Sky has not revealed a date for the launch of its equivalent service, AdSmart, which is available through Sky Player but not set to launch beyond that until 2013, when it will be focused on reaching linear TV rather than on-demand.
In March this year, the broadcaster began writing to its 10m pay-TV customers to inform them about AdSmart and explain its benefits. The proposed roll-out comes at a time when the digital industry faces intense scrutiny over privacy and how consumer data is collected and used online, as part of the ePrivacy directive.
Mark Brandon, commercial director of Virgin Media digital sales, would not confirm plans, but said: 'There will need to be a lot of collaboration to help advertisers and agencies to make the most of the opportunities.'
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...