Tesco to bundle physical and digital film formats
Tesco Clubcard customers who buy a film on DVD or Blu-ray will also be able to watch it on a stream from the retailer's Blinkbox service for no additional cost.
Harry Potter: the final installment will launch the Tesco and Blinkbox service
Tesco bought a controlling stake in online video company Blinkbox for a seven-figure sum back in April.
After buying the physical film, customers will be able to view the film from their Blinkbox account at any time on multiple devices.
Richard Brasher, Tesco UK chief executive, said the innovation "will help start a digital revolution, combining the physical with the digital for the first time".
In order to take advantage of the service, customers need to link their Tesco Clubcard with a Blinkbox account.
After linking the accounts, any eligible film that is bought in the store will automatically appear in the customer’s Blinkbox video library.
Tomorrow's (2 December) much-anticipated DVD release of the final instalment of 'Harry Potter' will launch the bundling service.
Other films included in the service include 'The Hangover Part 2', 'Cars 2', 'The Lion King', 'The Smurfs' and 'Final Destination 5'.
Blinkbox is compatible with a PC, Mac, PS3, LG and Samsung Smart TV and will later be rolled out to the Xbox 360 and iPad.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Mid-Weight Digital Project Manager Purple Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...