Diageo to sponsor free New Year's Eve travel for three years
Drinks company Diageo has signed a three-year deal to sponsor free travel on London transport on New Year's Eve, with a focus on responsible drinking messages.
Diageo: activity fronted by Lewis Hamilton
The sponsorship deal, launched today by Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton, will be promoted across tubes and buses from 9 December to New Year's Eve.
In addition to the responsible drinking ads, tube travellers at selected central London stations will receive top tips and free bottles of water on some of the busiest party nights of the year as part of Diageo’s activity.
Londoners will benefit from free travel on services from 23:45 on New Year’s Eve until 04:30 on New Year’s Day. A number of celebrations will be taking place across the capital including the fireworks display on the South Bank organised by the Mayor of London.
Launching the sponsorship, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton said: "Through my work with Diageo on Johnnie Walker for the ‘Join the Pact’ campaign I have been part of many responsible drinking initiatives and I hope today serves as a timely reminder to people in London to have fun but be responsible."
Andrew Cowan, country director for Diageo GB, added: "Responsible drinking is at the heart of everything we do and is never more important during the festive season. Getting home safely is often the final stage of a great night out but it is just one part which is why we are using our sponsorship of free travel this New Year to remind people to drink responsibly."
TfL has been providing free travel for partygoers on New Year’s Eve since 2001.
Last year’s sponsorship of the free travel by online loans Wonga.com was mired in controversy as critics claimed it encouraged people to spend beyond their means over Christmas.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...