Sorrell spins his Desert Island Discs
WPP chief executive Sir Martin Sorrell gave Radio 4 listeners an insight into his past, in a 45-minute interview for 'Desert Island Discs'.
Sir Martin Sorrell: chief executive, WPP
The interview, broadcast yesterday (4 December), covered Sorrell's early life as "a spoilt Jewish child from north-west London", his experiences in business, and his very close bond with his father, who passed away in 1989.
Sorrell's grandparents emigrated to the UK from Eastern Europe and were unable to speak English on their arrival.
He said: "On the points system, they wouldn't have got in … when I see the controls on immigration and when I see points systems I intuitively dislike them and think that I wouldn't be here if those rules were in force at that particular point in time."
The famously workaholic adman said he would take his iPad or BlackBerry to his desert island, but as this was against the rules, he plumped for a cricket bat and ball.
Questioned about his "hands-on" management style, he said: "When you start with two people in one room 26-years ago and you see it build, you know where the bodies are buried … but I do like the detail and I think a balance between the strategic and the detail is very important."
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Senior Integrated Producer Source £50000 - £55000 per annum, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...