Newspaper woes to dent UK adspend, predicts GroupM
WPP media buying operation GroupM has reduced its forecast for growth in UK adspend for this year from 1.5% to 0.7%, after projecting larger declines for newspapers.
Newspapers: GroupM predicts declines in adspend
At the time of its previous forecast in June GroupM was already predicting a tough year for print media, tipping national and regional newspapers for an 8.3% fall in adspend.
At the end of the year it has now revised that to an 11% drop, with nationals down from -4.1% to -6% and regionals down from -12.6% to -16%.
Other media are also suffering. Consumer magazines are now predicted to be down 6% instead of down 5% and cinema down by 5% instead of flat.
Outdoor's 2% rise has been crossed out and replaced by no growth.
On the positive side, GroupM now believes radio will be up 5% having previously predicted it would not experience growth.
TV is unchanged at 1.1% growth, while "interaction" (comprising online spend such as paid search, display and classified) has been bumped up from 10.3% to 10.5%.
For next year, GroupM believes the pace of online's growth will relent to 9.1%, while all other media will enjoy better prospects than this year.
Radio is forecast for another 5% up year, TV and cinema each for 3% growth, but outdoor will be out in front with 6%.
Newspaper and magazines' rate of decline will only slow however. The former will be down 5.3%, with nationals down 3.1% and regionals down 7.8%, while consumer magazines will be down 3%.
Overall growth in 2012 will come in at 3.2%.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)