Premier Foods sells off ready meals arm for £30m
Premier Foods has finally managed to offload its loss-making ready meal arm, Brookes Avana, which it has sold to private-label manufacturer 2 Sisters Food group for £30m.
Premier Foods: sells Brookes Avana to the 2 Sisters Food group for £30m
Premier Foods, the maker of Branston pickle, Oxo and Hovis, has been trying to sell the division since June.
Brookes Avana makes own-label chilled foods, cakes and pudding and was a key supplier to Marks & Spencer. The business recently lost a key £30m contract with Marks & Spencer, which hit its bottom line.
The sale helps Premier Foods chief executive Michael Clarke's strategy of streamlining the business and focussing on eight 'Power Brands' – Hovis, Mr Kipling, Ambrosia, Sharwoods, Oxo, Loyd Grossman, Bisto, and Batchelors.
Clarke said: "Brookes Avana will have a better opportunity to grow with two Sisters Food Group, given their focus in the chilled foods sector."
The Brookes Avana business employs around 2,000 people. Premier Foods said that "it is intended that all the employees will transfer with the business".
Premier Foods said it will use the money to pay down bank debt, which stood at £1.27bn in November. Disposal costs are estimated to be around £1.8m.
At the half-year ending 25 June 2011, Brookes Avana reported a trading loss of £13.3m.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...