HP dumps its Apple iPad rival tablet on Ebay
Hewlett Packard has been reduced to clearing its stock of TouchPads, the tablet it launched to rival the iPad, on eBay at a cut-price rate after it failed to sell.
HP TouchPad: being sold on eBay at a quarter of the original price
HP’s first webOS tablet launched in July at $499 (£320) for the 16GB model and $599 (£380) for the 32GB model.
However, a month later, the computer giant began discounting the TouchPad on sites such as Amazon, giving it a shortlived lift in sales, before HP announced it was to discontinue the tablet.
HP has now cleared the tablets via its eBay store for a quarter of the original price.
The TouchPad’s 16GB and 32GB versions sold on the site at a fixed price of $99 and $149 respectively.
HP staff were given a window of a few minutes to purchase ahead of the rest of the public. The tablet sold out within minutes of going on sale.
HP is the second company to fail against Apple's iPad, which dominates the tablet computer market.
Sharp also announced this year that it would stop selling its Galapagos tablet, less than a year after launching it. According to IDC analysts, iPads accounted for a 68.3% share of the tablet market in the second quarter of this year.
Follow Sara Kimberley on Twitter @SaraKimberley
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...