HP dumps its Apple iPad rival tablet on Ebay
Hewlett Packard has been reduced to clearing its stock of TouchPads, the tablet it launched to rival the iPad, on eBay at a cut-price rate after it failed to sell.
HP TouchPad: being sold on eBay at a quarter of the original price
HP’s first webOS tablet launched in July at $499 (£320) for the 16GB model and $599 (£380) for the 32GB model.
However, a month later, the computer giant began discounting the TouchPad on sites such as Amazon, giving it a shortlived lift in sales, before HP announced it was to discontinue the tablet.
HP has now cleared the tablets via its eBay store for a quarter of the original price.
The TouchPad’s 16GB and 32GB versions sold on the site at a fixed price of $99 and $149 respectively.
HP staff were given a window of a few minutes to purchase ahead of the rest of the public. The tablet sold out within minutes of going on sale.
HP is the second company to fail against Apple's iPad, which dominates the tablet computer market.
Sharp also announced this year that it would stop selling its Galapagos tablet, less than a year after launching it. According to IDC analysts, iPads accounted for a 68.3% share of the tablet market in the second quarter of this year.
Follow Sara Kimberley on Twitter @SaraKimberley
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1