Consumers turning to mobile over Christmas, says Google
Last minute shoppers are becoming more reliant on their mobiles, with up to half of all searches for last minute Christmas gifts and store locations expected to be made using mobile devices this year, according to research from Google.
Shoppers: turn to mobile for Christmas inspiration
The search giant estimates that 44% of these searches will be made on mobile rather than desktop, more than double the 20% for the same period last year, based on historical trend and existing data.
In 2008 mobile search represented less than 2% of total search on popular gifts. In 2010 this grew to just over 10% and in November 2011 it represented just under 15% of the online total.
Data from the past two years shows UK mobile queries for top retail brand terms spike three times around Christmas, and have grown 166% year on year.
The first peak, at the end of November, coincides with the last payday before Christmas.
The second is in the final days before the holiday itself, while the third coincides with the start of the January sales.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Graphic Designer CitNOW £25,000-£35 000pa, Wokingham, Berkshire
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...