Zynga IPO values company at $7bn
Zynga, the online social gaming company behind Facebook games such as FarmVille and Mafia Wars, has been valued at $7bn (£4.5bn), following its initial public offering.
FarmVille: Zynga game
The San Francisco-based company is reported to have sold shares at the top of its price range, having offered 100 million at the price of $10 yesterday, making it the biggest tech IPO since Google raised $1.7bn in 2004.
Zynga, launched in 2007, has been held up as a Facebook business success story, with its games largely played on the social networking site.
The company is planning to use the IPO proceeds for game development and marketing.
The launch comes ahead of Facebook's hotly anticipated IPO, which has been tipped for the second quarter of 2012 and is expected to value the company in the region of $100bn.
This year has seen a series of high-profile floatations from internet companies, including LinkedIn, Groupon and Pandora.
However the sky-high valuations have sparked concern that a social media investors' bubble is forming, a decade after the dotcom crash.
Zynga could not be reached at the time of publishing.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...