Zynga IPO values company at $7bn
Zynga, the online social gaming company behind Facebook games such as FarmVille and Mafia Wars, has been valued at $7bn (£4.5bn), following its initial public offering.
FarmVille: Zynga game
The San Francisco-based company is reported to have sold shares at the top of its price range, having offered 100 million at the price of $10 yesterday, making it the biggest tech IPO since Google raised $1.7bn in 2004.
Zynga, launched in 2007, has been held up as a Facebook business success story, with its games largely played on the social networking site.
The company is planning to use the IPO proceeds for game development and marketing.
The launch comes ahead of Facebook's hotly anticipated IPO, which has been tipped for the second quarter of 2012 and is expected to value the company in the region of $100bn.
This year has seen a series of high-profile floatations from internet companies, including LinkedIn, Groupon and Pandora.
However the sky-high valuations have sparked concern that a social media investors' bubble is forming, a decade after the dotcom crash.
Zynga could not be reached at the time of publishing.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Creative Artworker: InDesign,Illustrator,Photoshop,Typography Creative Recruitment £26000 - £30000 per annum, Surrey
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London