Microsoft sells Ciao to LeGuide.com
Microsoft has sold its online shopping portal Ciao to LeGuide.com, the pan-European publisher of digital shopping guides, for an undisclosed sum.
Ciao: sold by Microsoft to LeGuide.com for an undisclosed sum
Ciao, which was founded in 1999 and has launched in seven countries including the UK, was acquired by Microsoft in August 2008, for nearly half a billion dollars.
In 2009, Ciao was integrated into Microsoft's then new search engine Bing, including a Ciao shopping engine on the UK MSN site.
A spokeswoman for Microsoft said: "Microsoft plans to continue to offer the same great Ciao experience to Bing users through a partnership with LeGuide.
"There are many activities that must be completed prior to finalising the transaction, and today marks the starting point of these activities at both companies."
Ciao was thrust into the limelight last year, when it complained to the EU that Google abused its dominance in online search, penalising rival companies by placing them lower in the search rankings.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire