TalkSport scores commentary rights for Euro 2012
TalkSport, the UTV-owned national sports talk radio station, has signed a seven figure deal to broadcast commentary from the Uefa Euro 2012 football championships in Poland and Ukraine.
TalkSport: secures Euro 2012 rights
As part of the deal TalkSport will broadcast all 31 Uefa Euro 2012 games live on its national AM licence, on digital radio and online at TalkSport.co.uk from the first game on Friday 8 June until the final on Sunday 1 July.
TalkSport has expanded the amount of tournaments it broadcasts commentary from in recent years with an additional game of the Barclay's Premier League every week and exclusive radio rights to the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
TalkSport first broadcast live commentary from the Uefa Euro competition in 2004 but did not acquire rights to the tournament in 2008 after England failed to qualify.
A spokesman for TalkSport declined to comment on the cost of the rights but said the station will announce its commercial partners for the tournament in due course.
Moz Dee, programme director, TalkSport, said: "Major international sport tournaments are a huge draw for our listeners, as we've found with the Fifa World Cup in 2010 and the Rugby World Cup this year.
"With a team that includes Stan Collymore, Andy Gray and Richard Keys I believe we have some of the best sports broadcasters in the business and we’re the perfect place for listeners to follow all of the action next summer."
The BBC also has the right to broadcast commentary from the Uefa Euro 2012.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Integrated Shoreditch Agency - Financial Services - £30-38k Judi Patton £30k-38k, Shoreditch, London
- Head of Inbound (SEO and Content) dmpeople Between £60,000 and £80,000 plus bonus and benefits, London
- Regional Shopper & Market Insights Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, Asia
- International Trade Planning Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 per annum, London