Yahoo confirms PayPal's Scott Thompson as new CEO
Yahoo has confirmed the appointment of PayPal president Scott Thompson as its new chief executive, replacing Carol Bartz who was sacked in September last year.
Scott Thompson: appointed chief executive at Yahoo
Thompson will sit on Yahoo's company board of directors from Monday.
Thompson, who was tipped by AllThingsD to replace Bartz, worked most recently as president of PayPal, the online payments division of eBay, where he was responsible for expanding its user base from 50 million to more than 104 million active users in 190 countries worldwide.
He was previously the senior vice-president and chief technology officer at the company, overseeing information technology, product development and architecture for PayPal.
Prior to PayPal, Thompson worked for Inovant, a subsidiary of Visa formed to oversee global technology for the organisation.
Yahoo's board dismissed Bartz in September, claiming it wanted to return the company to growth and innovation.
Roy Bostock, chairman of the Yahoo board, said: "Scott brings to Yahoo a proven record of building on a solid foundation of existing assets and resources to reignite innovation and drive growth, precisely the formula we need at Yahoo.
"The search committee and the entire board concluded that he is the right leader to grow the core business and deliver increased value for our shareholders."
Thompson said: "Yahoo is an industry icon and I am very excited about the prospect of working with one of the great teams in the online world to deliver Yahoo's next era of success.
"I will also be working directly with our region leaders and sales teams globally to get a clearer understanding of the needs of our advertisers and publishers."
Follow Sara Kimberley on Twitter @SaraKimberley
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...