Daily Star apes Daily Mirror with 5p cover price lift
Richard Desmond's Daily Star is copying Sly Bailey's Daily Mirror by upping the cover price of its Saturday edition by 5p, as the two papers continue to battle it out for readers.
Daily Star: Saturday edition cover price to rise to 60p
The Daily Star is increasing the cover price of its Saturday edition from 55p to 60p from this Saturday (January 7).
This follows the Daily Mirror upping the cover price of its Saturday issue from 65p to 70p for the start of 2012.
The respective prices of the weekday issues, Daily Mirror (45p) and the Daily Star (30p), remain unaffected.
Desmond has gone public in his belief that the Daily Star can sell more papers than the Daily Mirror.
His ambition has some way to go to be fulfilled.
According to Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABCs) figures, the Daily Mirror reported an average circulation of 1,103,405 in November. The Daily Star reported an average circulation of 643,490.
The circulation of both red-tops is dwarfed by The Sun, which reported a circulation of 2,624,167 in the same month.
Desmond also upped the cover price of the weekday edition of the Daily Express by 5p to 50p from January 3.
The Daily Express still trades at a 5p discount to mid-market rival, the Daily Mail, priced at 55p.
The Daily Express promotes a "5p cheaper than the Daily Mail" slogan on its front page, next to its masthead.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Media Planner: £28k: Top Travel Clients Ultimate Asset £25000 - £28000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Head of Membership Royal Pharmaceutical Society c. £55K, Lambeth, London (Please note we are relocating to 66-68 East Smithfield Street, E1W in 2015)
- Senior UK Category Manager McCormick Ltd Haddenham, Buckinghamshire , Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Digital Brand Manager McCormick Ltd £ Competitive + Benefits , Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- EMEA Category Controller McCormick Ltd £ Competitive + Benefits , Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Digital Account Director - Media Agency; £50k + Bens Ultimate Asset £45000 - £50000 per annum + First Class Benefits!, London