Starbucks updates loyalty scheme and extends iPhone app
Starbucks is replacing its current prepay member card with a new loyalty card scheme and, from today (5 January), is offering customers the chance to pay for their coffees with the Starbucks iPhone app.
Starbucks: introduces payment via iPhone app
The 'My Starbucks Reward' programme offers customers a number of benefits, as Starbucks increases the competion against high-street rivals such as Costa Coffee.
These include offering customers a free drink for every 15 visits, when customers make a purchase. Starbucks staff will explain the benefts to customers.
With 50 visits, customers upgrade to the top level of membership and will get further benefits including free espresso shots and whipped cream.
All existing prepay members will automatically become Gold members.
The launch is being supported by press ads and in-store activity.
Separately, Starbucks is extending the use of its iPhone app from today to allow customers to pay via their smartphone, by swiping their phones at the till.
It will be followed by an Android app later this year.
Starbucks has unveiled a number of digital initiatives in recent months, as it bids to capitalise on consumers' increasing use of technology, such as smartphones and computers.
The UK launch of the transaction app follows its launch in the US.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Digital Account Manager/ Senior Account Executive Premier Media £28,000 - £32,000, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...