Orange tackles tablet market with low-priced Android device
Orange, the Everything Everywhere-owned telecoms brand, is entering the tablet market with its first own-branded Android device, challenging Amazon by pricing it at the lower end of the market.
Orange Tahiti: tablet device rolls out to retailers this week
The Tahiti rolls out to Orange retailers this week and is priced at £69.99 upfront, plus a 24-month contract of £25 a month, which includes a data allowance.
The device has a seven-inch screen, the same size as BlackBerry's Playbook, and is made by Chinese tech giant Huawei.
It also has a camera, Wi-Fi and 3G connection. Everything Everywhere has not confirmed whether any marketing activity is planned around the product.
Paul Jevons, director of products and devices at Everything Everywhere, said: "The Tahiti is a stylish, lightweight device with a great quality screen, which we believe really does offer great value innovation and will help customers to get the most out of their multimedia content whilst on the go."
Unlike other manufacturers, such as Samsung and Motorola, Orange does not intend the Tahiti to compete with Apple, whose iPads are priced at £399.
The Tahiti does however present a challenge to Amazon's much-trumpeted Kindle Fire, which is priced at the lower end of the market in the US and currently has no confirmed UK launch date.
Separately, new research from eDigitalResearch and IMRG showed that tablet use over Christmas Day and Boxing Day doubled in 2011, compared to the previous year, as 8% of 2,000 consumers surveyed now use these devices as their main way to go online.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Account Director - Branding and Packaging Mustard Jobs Circa £40,000 DOE, Central London
- Client Manager - Branding & Packaging to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Junior Planner - London - up to £34,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £34000 per annum, London