Tesco brings back voucher activity after torrid Christmas
Tesco is doing a U-turn and returning to a strategy of offering money-off vouchers after chief executive Philip Clark admitted backing off voucher activity contributed to its torrid Christmas.
Tesco: Big Price Drop campaign failed to attract consumers
The supermarket was trounced by rivals Sainsbury's and Morrisons in the Christmas trading period, after its Big Price Drop campaign failed to gain traction, resulting in £5bn being knocked off Tesco's market value.
Tesco is now running a national print campaign, created by The Red Brick Road, offering customers a £5-off voucher when they spend more than £40 on a shop.
The strapline for activity is "a helping hand from Tesco" and is backed up by the statement, "It's just our way of saying 'thanks'".
Creative fits in with the supermarket's renewed attempt to reconnect with customers and improve the overall customer experience.
Clarke has admitted that the supermarket was wrong to switch its strategy away from voucher activity over the Christmas period.
Tesco is preparing to invest heavily into its UK operations to improve the customer experience, following criticisms it has used the UK business as a cash cow to drive its overseas expansion.
The return to voucher activity comes after rival Sainsbury's reported a record-breaking Christmas on the back of its Brand Match strategy, which matches prices of brands sold by Tesco and Asda via vouchers provided at the till.
Tesco's current voucher campaign will run all this week, while customers shopping online are also eligible for the scheme.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...