BP hires Maitland partner George Trefgarne as director of external affairs
BP has continued the revamp of its communications team with the hire of Maitland partner George Trefgarne.
BP: looks to rebuild its reputation
Trefgarne will return to BP as director of external affairs in the spring. He was previously director of media and research at BP from 2006 until joining Maitland in 2009.
He will work closely with chief executive Bob Dudley. The pair previously worked together when Dudley headed Russian joint venture TNK-BP.
The company is involved in a class action lawsuit in the US over the environmental and economic damage the oil spill caused. BP has a specific litigation comms team in place in the US, supported by Brunswick, but Trefgarne’s role is also likely to support messaging around the case.
BP has restructured its external comms since it was heavily criticised for its media response to Deep Water Horizen incident.
Following the incident, BP created a new overarching comms role. In January 2011 BP gave the role to BG Group’s head of government affairs Peter Henshaw
Andrew Gowers, BP’s head of media during Deep Water Horizon, left the in November 2010. David Nicholas now runs the BP media operation, while David Bickerton, director of comms, concentrates on internal affairs.
Before joining BP in 2006, Trefgarne was City editor at The Sunday Telegraph. He worked at the Telegraph Group for ten years, which included stints as economics editor and comment editor.
During his first stint at the firm he served as speechwriter to Lord Browne, then BP chief executive.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...