Jordan promotes Snickers in Twitter prank
Snickers, the chocolate bar from Mars, has hired reality TV star Katie Price, formerly known as Jordan, to promote the brand through Twitter in an advertising stunt that made her followers momentarily think her account had been hacked.
Katie Price: posts Snickers activity on her Twitter page
At the weekend, Price tweeted from her @MissKatiePrice account, which has around 1.5 million followers, about the Eurozone debt problems and China's GDP rating, before revealing that she hadn't been herself because she was too hungry.
She tweeted: "Great news about China's latest GDP figures!!", "Chinese leaders now likely to loosen monetary policy to stimulate growth. Yay!!", "OMG!! Eurozone debt problems can only be properly solved by true fiscal union!!! #comonguys", and "Large scale quantitative easing in 2012 could distort liquidity of govt. bond market. #justsayin".
Price then tweeted the Snickers strapline, "You're not you when you're hungry @snickersUK #hungry #spon" and a picture of her holding a Snickers bar.
Boxer Amir Khan (@AmirKingKhan) and cricketer Sir Ian Botham (@BeefyBotham) also pulled a similar stunt in activity believed to be orchestrated by ad agency Abbott Mead Vickers. BBDO.
Khan tweeted about the love of his supposed stamp collection, while Botham spoke about learning to play the Cello.
Both tweeters then revealed their part in the Snickers activity by posting a picture of themselves with a Snickers bar and the activity's strapline. Further celebrity Twitter endorsements connected to the Snickers promotion are expected follow.
Earlier this month Mars revealed it was replacing Mr T in its Snickers advertising with fellow 80s icon and 'Dynasty' star, Joan Collins.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...