Linear TV viewing maintains high in 2011
TV viewing in 2011 maintained levels set the previous year, but is expected to plateau over the coming 12 months, according to a report by the UK commercial broadcasters' marketing body, Thinkbox.
TV viewing maintained 2010 levels thanks to hits such as 'Downton Abbey'
Figures from BARB showed the average viewer watched four hours and two minutes of linear TV a day, or 28 hours and 14 minutes a week, matching 2010’s record levels. Commercial TV accounts for 64% of UK linear TV viewing, up 1.3% year on year, due to successes such as ITV’s Downton Abbey.
Thinkbox attributed the figures to consumers staying home because of the difficult economic conditions, as well as innovations such as 3D TV.
It claims that linear TV, as opposed to time-shifted viewing, still accounts for more than 90% of all TV viewed in the UK. It also claims that the viewing of TV ads is up by 2.6% year-on-year, with the average viewer watching 47 TV ads a day.
The body admitted linear viewing is likely to ‘stabilise’, but expects the daily figure to stay near the four-hour mark.
Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox’s managing director, said: ‘These figures explain why so many tech companies want to join the TV industry. Many companies are flocking to launch new TV services or social media services that feed off people’s love affair with TV.
‘It is obvious that people want to watch TV programmes on the best screen in the home if they can and 2012 will bring more opportunities to do that with the sale of connected TVs and more catch-up TV services to the TV set.’
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...