Indy revamp hooks online readers
The Independent online's recent refresh appears to have paid dividends, scoring the website a 10% uplift in average daily users, which made it the only national newspaper website to record an increase between November and December, according to ABC data.
The Independent: 2011 redesign boosts online figures
Average daily traffic to Independent Online hit 758,524 in December, up 10.56% on the previous month.
The Independent made a concerted effort to overhaul its digital offering late last year, redesigning the site, which now carries a bold red masthead, like its printed companion and launching a paywall for non-UK readers and an iPad app.
Despite the uplift, independent.co.uk remains a minnow compared to the big cats of national newspaper websites.
But December proved a tough month for the big cats, with guardian.co.uk the biggest faller, shedding over 20% of its average daily users to 2,937,070.
MailOnline, which is the world's largest English-language newspaper according to ComcScore, fell back over 5% to 4,8838,140, according to ABC.
Telegraph Online, the third biggest national newspaper website, fell back 8.16% to 2,156,001 average daily users in December.
News International's Sun Online fell back over 10% to 1,339,077 average daily users.League Tables
|ABCe results December 2011|
|Online title||Glibal Daily Ave||Daily % change||Daily % change||UK monthly total|
|Mirror Group Digital||N/A||-4.23||44.19||16,311,555|
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London