Bmibaby sold to mystery buyer
Lufthansa-owned BMI has signed a deal to offload its no-frills regional airline bmibaby to an unnamed UK-based company.
Bmibaby: sold to undisclosed buyer
BMI has outlined the conditions of the deal in a "term sheet", which agrees to allow the new owner to continue to use the bmibaby fleet, its route network and the employment of existing staff.
According to the term sheet, the new owner will also be able to use the bmibaby brand name for an "interim" period and consumers will still be able to book flights through bmibaby.com and the bmibaby call centre.
The term sheet is non-exclusive however, meaning that BMI can continue to have discussions with other interested companies.
The sale of bmibaby comes two months after British Airways' parent company IAG agreed to buy BMI from Lufthansa for £172.5m.
BMI also disclosed that bmibaby's headquarters will remain in the Midlands and the airline will continue to operate from its three existing UK bases of the East Midlands, Birmingham and Belfast City.
BMI expects the sale to be signed off in the first quarter of 2012 and completed shortly after.
BMI said it is "pleased" with the opportunity that this transaction gives to the bmibaby business, enabling it to be an "independent airline with great future prospects.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...