Bmibaby sold to mystery buyer
Lufthansa-owned BMI has signed a deal to offload its no-frills regional airline bmibaby to an unnamed UK-based company.
Bmibaby: sold to undisclosed buyer
BMI has outlined the conditions of the deal in a "term sheet", which agrees to allow the new owner to continue to use the bmibaby fleet, its route network and the employment of existing staff.
According to the term sheet, the new owner will also be able to use the bmibaby brand name for an "interim" period and consumers will still be able to book flights through bmibaby.com and the bmibaby call centre.
The term sheet is non-exclusive however, meaning that BMI can continue to have discussions with other interested companies.
The sale of bmibaby comes two months after British Airways' parent company IAG agreed to buy BMI from Lufthansa for £172.5m.
BMI also disclosed that bmibaby's headquarters will remain in the Midlands and the airline will continue to operate from its three existing UK bases of the East Midlands, Birmingham and Belfast City.
BMI expects the sale to be signed off in the first quarter of 2012 and completed shortly after.
BMI said it is "pleased" with the opportunity that this transaction gives to the bmibaby business, enabling it to be an "independent airline with great future prospects.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- .Net Developer - Agency Role - ASP.Net, .Net 4.0, CMS, Umbraco Digital Gurus £35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits, London
- Freelance Account Manager for award winning integrated agency! Zebra People £180 - £220 per day, East London
- Product Strategist Dyson Undisclosed, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
- Motion Graphic designer (with Flash Experience) Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum, London