Rajar Q4 2011: Capital's Johnny Vaughan bows out as London's no 1
Johnny Vaughan bowed out of his flagship breakfast show as the undisputed king of London's commercial radio, having helped Global Radio's 95.8 Capital FM extend its lead over rivals.
Johnny Vaughan: steps down at number one
According to Rajar figures published today for the period 18 September - 19 December, Global's listeners rose 3.4% quarter on quarter, and 14.9% year on year, to 2.25 million listeners.
It represents Capital's best performance for seven years, with growth fuelled by the breakfast show attracting 1.3 million listeners, up from 1.13 million the previous quarter and 1.08 million a year earlier. The network represents 36% of Global Radio's total 19.4 million listeners tuning in every week.
Bauer's Magic 105.4 remains London’s second most listened to commercial station, with 2.16 million listeners. It represents an 8.7% quarterly rise and a 5.7% annual lift.
Global's Heart was down 4.7% on the previous quarter but up 9.3% year on year, to retain its third spot with a weekly reach of 1.93 million, ahead of Bauer's Kiss 100's 1.87 million.
The figures should provide some comfort to 45-year-old Vaughan, who left his £1m-a-year job at Capital abruptly on 18 November, after being told his two-year contract would not be renewed.
Vaughan's co-presenter Lisa Snowdon fronted the breakfast show with stand-in Greg Burns before being joined by 33-year-old Dave Berry in January.
The pressure will now be on both the broadcaster and Berry to sustain Global's market leading position over the next three months.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter: @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Recruitment Consultant - £according to experience Direct Recruitment £according to experience , Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...