BT broadband customer base reaches 6.1 million
BT has reported a pre-tax profit lift of 18% to £628m in the third quarter of 2011 and said it had added 262,000 customers over its broadband network in the period, boosting its overall broadband customer base to 6.1million.
BT: 'welcome to flat six' TV campaign
The race for broadband customers is becoming increasingly competitive, with brands such as Sky, Virgin Media and BT running big advertising campaigns to lure in customers.
BT today (3 February) said that overall, it had added 262,000 customers to its broadband network in the period, 56% of them (146,000) were its own retail customers.
It said it now had a retail customer base of 6.1 million as of 31 December 2011.
By comparison, the latest figures for Virgin Media reveal it has 4.3 million customers
BT reported revenues of £4.774bn in the third quarter to 31 December 2011, down 5% on the period.
Pre-tax profits on an adjusted basis were up 18% to £628m.
Chief executive Ian Livingstone said BT's performance had been aided by new contract wins.
He said: "Our investment to support our customers and improve our services has resulted in new contract wins around the world, with orders to far this year up over 50% in Asia Pacific and Latin America."
Separately, BT has also announced that "Ultra-fast " broadband, using direct fibre-optic connections, will become available to the majority of British homes and businesses in 2013.
BT said the rollout of the "Ultra-fast" broadband followed a successful trial of the technology in Cornwall.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Strategic Search Manager - PPC - LUXURY BRAND Ultimate Asset £25000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior Internal Comms Business Partner - Technology Badenoch & Clark £60000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Senior Digital Executive Zebra People £32000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, City of London