Lavazza awards €50m pan-European account to MEC
Lavazza, the Italian coffee brand, has appointed MEC, the WPP media agency, to its estimated €50m (£42m) pan-European media planning and buying account after a competitive pitch.
Lavazza: appoints MEC to its pan-European media account
Lavazza said it appointed MEC because it wanted a major global media agency to offer the brand support and activation as it expanded its activities in international markets.
From May, MEC will handle the coffee brand's account in a number of European markets including Italy, UK, Germany, France, Sweden, Belgium, Romania, the Netherlands and Greece.
Previously, Lavazza worked with several different agencies, including Media Italia in Italy, Havas Media agency MPG in France and Belgium, Aegis Media's Vizeum in Germany and the Netherlands, and independent agency AMS in the UK.
Lavazza said it "would like to thank Media Italia for their great professionalism and reliability during these years of close collaboration".
Paul Phelps, chief executive of AMS, said: "We have held the Lavazza business in the UK for the last 11 years and enjoyed an excellent relationship with the client throughout – not least helping to deliver sustained growth year after year.
"I understand that this decision is one made in Italy on a global basis and without conducting any market by market review. Disappointing not having a say in the matter, but we can be very proud of the work we have done for the brand and the excellent results achieved."
In recent years, Lavazza has supported its annual calendar of images of famous models taken by leading photographers, with a pan-European advertising campaign.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London