Facebook 'likely to roll out mobile ads in weeks'
Facebook is poised to start monetising its mobile offering, with ads expected to appear on its app within weeks, according to a report in the Financial Times.
Facebook: readies mobile ad service
According to the report, Facebook has discussed plans with advertising agencies about introducing the "featured stories" ads, which are based on the Sponsored Story format, into users' timelines on mobile devices as early as March, ahead of its initial public offering.
It did not specify whether ads would be served on the Facebook Messenger app, as well as its main app.
With an IPO on the horizon, which could see Facebook valued at $100bn, the company is looking a new ways of generating advertising revenues to justify this valuation.
In December it claimed to have 425 million monthly active users using its mobile products, which is around half of its total monthly active users.
Advertising on mobile has been for a long time predicted as the next logical step for the company.
Last week, Simon Mansell, chief executive of TBG Digital, the Facebook advertising specialist agency, told Media Week that mobile advertising is the "next obvious and short term step" for Facebook.
He said: "A big question is how will Facebook bring further value without upsetting its user base."
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...