Tesco delays banking launch until 2013
Tesco is delaying the rollout of a full banking proposition, after announcing its flagship current account product will not be available until next year.
Tesco: current account launch delayed until 2013
Tesco Bank has 6.5 million customers and has long stated its intention to provide a full range of banking services, including current accounts and mortgages. Currently it offers credit cards, insurance and loans.
According to reports, Tesco Bank chief executive Benny Higgins said the company had delayed the launch of a current account until 2013, to take advantage of recommendations by the Independent Commission on Banking, making it easier for consumers to switch account providers.
In an interview with The Times, Higgins said: "Getting in absolutely right at launch is more important than rushing it. This is for the very long term."
Tesco is one of a number of new entrants plotting to steal share from high-street banking giants such as Lloyds, RBS, HSBC and Barclays.
Virgin Money, buoyed by the acquisition of 75 Northern Rock branches, announced its launch with a £10m ad campaign last month. Late last year, The Co-operative Bank was named as the preferred bidder for 632 branches being sold by Lloyds Banking Group.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Communications Co-ordinator Stopgap £26000 - £29000 per annum, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...