Reebok set to relaunch controversial EasyTone shoes range
Reebok is mounting a European relaunch of its EasyTone sports shoes, backed by fresh research into their toning effects, following previous complaints made to regulators about its advertising claims.
Reebok: relaunching EasyTone range with campaign starring Helena Christensen
The Adidas-owned sports brand is shifting the focus of its footwear positioning to women’s ‘satisfaction’. While technology will no longer be the main focus of the range, it will underpin all marketing communications.
Reebok has not changed the product itself, but has commissioned independent research that it claims provides fresh evidence of the physical ben-efits of wearing the shoes.
It has launched a PR campaign featuring brand ambassadors Helena Christensen and Eva Mendes based on the repositioning. Activity featuring its UK ambassador, Kelly Brook, will follow later this year.
The fresh positioning, handled by M&C Saatchi Sport & Entertainment, is being used across Europe.
In December 2010, the ASA banned ads for Reebok’s EasyTone Curve trainers following two complaints, stating that Reebok gave insufficient evidence that the shoes toned wearers’ ‘legs and bum more than regular trainers’.
Last year, the US Federal Trade Commission ruled that the company had made unsubstantiated claims in the advertising of its EasyTone walking shoes and RunTone running shoes and forced it to return $25m to US consumers who had bought them.
Reebok was also barred from making these and any further health or fitness claims unless backed by scientific evidence.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- COPYWRITER - GLOBAL COMPANY - NORTHAMPTON, UK - £25-26K Salt £25000 - £26000 per annum, Northamptonshire
- Marketing Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Senior Digital Account Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £43000 per annum + bonus and benefits , London