On the Agenda: Call for action on hip implants
A report leaked to The Sunday Telegraph claimed that senior surgeons have called for the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to issue a stronger warning over DePuy ASR hip replacements.
Hip implants: a call for action
The report prompted Manchester-based law firm Ralli to launch a public appeal to those who might be affected.
About the hip replacements
DePuy replacements were initially recalled in 2010 due to high failure rates of the metal-on-metal technique. Concerns were raised over fragments becoming loose, causing pain and reducing mobility. This type of implant is normally fitted in younger people who are active or play sports because it allows for greater mobility.
Paula Bridge, Ralli's head of clinical negligence, said although DePuy had offered to cover reasonable costs of testing and revision surgery, it was not compensating patients who claimed the faulty implants left them unable to continue working.
Gunpowder Media - an integrated digital marketing agency - has a retained contract with Ralli and has been working with Ralli's in-house team. A press release aimed at patients was issued on 1 February. Bridge is also giving media interviews and blogging on the firm's website.
The Sunday Telegraph's special investigation was picked up by the Daily Mail and The Guardian, and broadcasters Channel 4, Sky and the BBC.
120 Number of people currently seeking compensation due to failed ASR hip implants
10k Number of patients in the UK whose metal-on-metal implants were made by DePuy.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Copywriter Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £36000 per annum, Milton Keynes
- Web Analyst / Optimisation Manager EMR £52000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Producer / Project Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £32000 per annum, Benefits: +package, Manchester
- Junior Account Manager [Direct & Digital Marketing] - Superb Agency - to £27k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £27k + great benefits, Soho. London