On the Agenda: Call for action on hip implants
A report leaked to The Sunday Telegraph claimed that senior surgeons have called for the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to issue a stronger warning over DePuy ASR hip replacements.
Hip implants: a call for action
The report prompted Manchester-based law firm Ralli to launch a public appeal to those who might be affected.
About the hip replacements
DePuy replacements were initially recalled in 2010 due to high failure rates of the metal-on-metal technique. Concerns were raised over fragments becoming loose, causing pain and reducing mobility. This type of implant is normally fitted in younger people who are active or play sports because it allows for greater mobility.
Paula Bridge, Ralli's head of clinical negligence, said although DePuy had offered to cover reasonable costs of testing and revision surgery, it was not compensating patients who claimed the faulty implants left them unable to continue working.
Gunpowder Media - an integrated digital marketing agency - has a retained contract with Ralli and has been working with Ralli's in-house team. A press release aimed at patients was issued on 1 February. Bridge is also giving media interviews and blogging on the firm's website.
The Sunday Telegraph's special investigation was picked up by the Daily Mail and The Guardian, and broadcasters Channel 4, Sky and the BBC.
120 Number of people currently seeking compensation due to failed ASR hip implants
10k Number of patients in the UK whose metal-on-metal implants were made by DePuy.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...