Channel 4 admits February deals will not be delivered
Channel 4 has taken the unusual step of admitting to agencies and advertisers that it will fail to deliver on its February deals.
Channel 4: contacts agencies about delivery issues
In a series of e-mails sent to agencies, the broadcaster informed TV buyers that it had a "couple of issues regarding delivering deals in February" and it expected to under-deliver campaigns by up to 5%.
However, its position in delivering campaigns that target an upmarket audience involves a predicted shortfall of 8% against agency plans.
The broadcaster claims that this is owing to an increase in demand in the month for this audience. However, it expects its ABC1 impacts to have fallen by nearly 7% on last year.
Jonathan Allan, the sales director of Channel 4, said the e-mails were part of its bid to work more transparently. He said: "We decided to write to agencies to be a bit more on the front foot."
Channel 4 will look to improve its audience performance in order to claw back the deal debt to avoid having to roll it over to next year or, in the worst-case scenario, pay agencies back.
The chief executive of Channel 4, David Abraham, recently admitted that the company would report its first loss for more than a decade for 2012 but that this was planned and it would invest more in programming.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London