Channel 4 admits February deals will not be delivered
Channel 4 has taken the unusual step of admitting to agencies and advertisers that it will fail to deliver on its February deals.
Channel 4: contacts agencies about delivery issues
In a series of e-mails sent to agencies, the broadcaster informed TV buyers that it had a "couple of issues regarding delivering deals in February" and it expected to under-deliver campaigns by up to 5%.
However, its position in delivering campaigns that target an upmarket audience involves a predicted shortfall of 8% against agency plans.
The broadcaster claims that this is owing to an increase in demand in the month for this audience. However, it expects its ABC1 impacts to have fallen by nearly 7% on last year.
Jonathan Allan, the sales director of Channel 4, said the e-mails were part of its bid to work more transparently. He said: "We decided to write to agencies to be a bit more on the front foot."
Channel 4 will look to improve its audience performance in order to claw back the deal debt to avoid having to roll it over to next year or, in the worst-case scenario, pay agencies back.
The chief executive of Channel 4, David Abraham, recently admitted that the company would report its first loss for more than a decade for 2012 but that this was planned and it would invest more in programming.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london