Barclays hires former Vodafone marketing chief Wheldon to brand role
Barclays has hired former Vodafone marketing chief David Wheldon to head up its global corporate reputation, amid the negative perception of the banking industry in the UK and overseas.
David Wheldon: joins Barclays in senior role
Wheldon, who left his role as global brand director at Vodafone in April 2010, has been hired as head of brand, reputation and citizenship across Barclays Group. It is understood he will be tasked with enhancing the bank's reputation and managing its range of CSR activities.
Although Barclays has not been forced to endure the same levels of scrutiny around executive bonuses, chief executive Bob Diamond has proved a controversial figure in the media, arguing last year that the "period of remorse" in banking should come to an end.
Prior to joining Vodafone, Wheldon spent four years as global advertising director at Coca-Cola, as well as a stint as European president at advertising network BBDO.
Barclays was unable to provide a comment on the appointment.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)