Dentsu hit by 4.2% fall in European net sales
Dentsu's European operation made up less than 1% of the Japanese group's net sales for the April-December period last year, after a 4.2% year-on-year fall in net sales.
Dentsu: 2011 work for client Tetley by Dentsu London
Net sales (a figure equivalent to billings) in Europe for the final nine months of 2011 totalled 11.1bn yen (£90m).
Worldwide gross profit (equivalent to revenue) rose 2.7% year on year to 234.7bn yen (£1.91bn) and net income surged 52.4% to 13.3bn yen (£108.1m).
Dentsu has historically struggled to diversify beyond its home market, which accounted for 88% of its 1.36trn yen net sales in the same period.
Although the contribution of its overseas divisions has been hampered by a strengthening yen, Dentsu made better progress in America, where net sales increased 28.6% to 60m yen.
For its latest push into Europe, Dentsu hired RKCR/Y&R founder Jim Kelly to lead as regional director in 2009, after rebranding its UK agency CDP as Dentsu London.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Designer (Packaging, Brochure, POS, Retouching) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer (Branding, Marketing, POS, Packaging) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London