Dentsu hit by 4.2% fall in European net sales
Dentsu's European operation made up less than 1% of the Japanese group's net sales for the April-December period last year, after a 4.2% year-on-year fall in net sales.
Dentsu: 2011 work for client Tetley by Dentsu London
Net sales (a figure equivalent to billings) in Europe for the final nine months of 2011 totalled 11.1bn yen (£90m).
Worldwide gross profit (equivalent to revenue) rose 2.7% year on year to 234.7bn yen (£1.91bn) and net income surged 52.4% to 13.3bn yen (£108.1m).
Dentsu has historically struggled to diversify beyond its home market, which accounted for 88% of its 1.36trn yen net sales in the same period.
Although the contribution of its overseas divisions has been hampered by a strengthening yen, Dentsu made better progress in America, where net sales increased 28.6% to 60m yen.
For its latest push into Europe, Dentsu hired RKCR/Y&R founder Jim Kelly to lead as regional director in 2009, after rebranding its UK agency CDP as Dentsu London.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire