News International reports 119,255 digital subs for The Times
News International has provided an update on its two UK newspaper websites behind paywalls, to report 119,255 digital subscribers for The Times and 113,818 for the Sunday Times.
The Sunday Times: NI reports 113,818 digital subs
In further revelations, the publisher reported an average of 59,882 copies of The Times were downloaded daily on the iPad, a 35% increase since September 2011.
The average number of The Sunday Times iPad edition downloads in January was 63,959, representing an 80% increase since September.
The figures continue the steady sales growth tracked by News International, with digital subscribers this time last year (February 2011) for The Times and Sunday Times standing at 79,000 and 75,133 respectively.
The paying digital subscribers are in addition to the reported print circulation figures for January of 405,113 for The Times and 967,975 for The Sunday Times.
According to unverified figures provided by the publisher, there is now a total paid audience of 524,368 for The Times, and 1,081,793 for the Sunday Times.
|The Times||The Sunday Times|
Both newspaper brands have apps available for download on all platforms and devices including Android, Amazon Kindle and iOS5.
The update on the latest digital subscriber numbers come in the same week Rupert Murdoch, chairman and chief executive of News International’s parent group, News Corporation, is set to visit the UK amid growing tensions at The Sun.
Paul Hayes, managing director of commercial operations at News International, started the week reassuring The Sun's leading advertisers and associated media agencies responsible for more than £200m worth of advertising expenditure last year, that it is business as usual.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Trainee Account Executive Michael Page Digital £16000 per annum, Guildford
- Market Insight & Reporting Manager Michael Page Digital £42800 - £50300 per annum, London
- Senior Display, Social and Mobile Manager Michael Page Digital £75000 - £78000 per annum, Middlesex